Upstream in Canada
Picture of the country


In 2016, our presence in Canada focused on our Upstream and Gas & Power businesses.

Net surface area
of mineral rights



Net production


barrels of oil
equivalent per day

Net proved reserves


million barrels of oil
equivalent per day


As of December 31st, 2016, we owned mineral rights in Canada to a total net surface area of 18,221 km2 (14,408 km2 in exploration and 3,813 km2 in production/development). These figures include the important unconventional assets in Greater Edson, Chauvin, and Duvernay.

Net production at year end was 8 Mbbl of liquids and 81.7 bscf of natural gas, with a total equivalent net production of 22.5 Mboe (61,540 boe/d). Net proved reserves of liquids and natural gas were estimated to be 126.1 Mboe as of December 31st, 2016.

2016 milestones

  • In 2016, Repsol’s activity focused on unconventional hydrocarbon assets at Greater Edson (crude oil and gas production that is concentrated in Edson (Alberta) with an average stake of 75% covering six areas: Edson, Sundance/MedLodge, Ansell and Minehead in the south, and Wild River and Bigstone in the north) and Duvernay (an underdeveloped area that is in the initial stage of development and appraisal, producing crude oil and gas, which is located in west-central Alberta. In 2016, drilling continued in order to appraise the southern area). Chauvin, a heavy crude oil production asset located in Alberta/Saskatchewan, is also worthy of mention.


Gas & Power

We direct the Canaport™ LNG regasification plant in Saint John, New Brunswick with a 75% stake (our partner Irving Oil has the other 25%).

The plant has a maximum send-out capacity of 1.2 billion cubic feet (Bcf) per day and primarily serves customers in the Northeastern United States.


Get the latest information on Repsol's presence in Canada

Information on net production, net proved reserves, and mineral rights as of December 31st, 2016